Citizen C.A. Harris- Prewar shot. Big tie and big collar scream late '50s to me. 1860 shows him a young lawyer in Franklin, fairly common to the men we'll find in the 1st. He was born in D.C., though, that's a bit strange. Well, turns out his daddy, (Carey Allen Harris, Sr.) was Andrew Jackson's Commissioner of Indian Affairs. Yep, this was the guy who removed the Cherokee et al. to the west. From what I've read about him he was a miserable political patronage appointee who did little but speculate in lands. One scholar has blamed him for breaking the Indian Bureau before it got off the ground. So, yeah. That's a pretty fun connection. Anyway, I love the cocky look and pommaded-up hair. Frat boy stereotype anybody?
Lt. C.A. Harris- His early war shot. Grew the beard, but again, that's not uncommon for the officers in the regiment as I've seen. Also got himself a haircut. Interesting coat, very dark gray or could be blue. Massive buttons, to boot. A nice one.Kit Ridley- I really love this shot. To me, this is the standard 1st Tn. prewar look. Most striking is that fine looking floral print vest. Lovely big silk necktie. I really like his swept-back hair, too. Again, the prewar everyman among these fellows for me.
That ends the Co. D. images I've got. Hope they were of some use. Again, if you've got anything to chip in, be it another photo or a comment, lay it on us.
No comments:
Post a Comment